Salary Range: $85,000
Status: Full-time, Salaried Position with Fringe Benefits
FSC First provides access to financing to small and minority businesses through distinct loan products. The loans are a product of public-private partnerships between a consortium of participating banks, Prince George’s County, Maryland, and FSC First. FSC First is the premier lending partner for businesses in the region, providing creative and innovative financing to grow and sustain the local economy.
FSC First is a reliable provider of creative and innovative business financing solutions to established and emerging businesses in the State of Maryland. We also provide comprehensive loan administration services for loan programs that stimulate the growth and development of the local economy.
The Business Development Officer (BDO) will be responsible for exploring and pursuing new markets for loan products, analyzing loan requests and preparing written evaluations and recommendations for approvals. The BDO will sustain productive relationships with borrowers and will arrange for and coordinate technical assistance to existing and prospective borrowers to help them improve their current operations, future business plans and/or preparation to borrow. The BDO will be responsible for credit analysis, loan underwriting and loan packaging for the U.S. Small Business Administration’s (SBA) loans under the 504 Loan Program and 7(a) Community Advantage Program as well as various County and State supported loan programs. The CLO is accountable for: (i) meeting clearly established organizational lending goals, (ii) aggressively covering the market in order to add new clients and grow market share, (iii) quarterbacking the delivery of all the organization’s relevant product and services to each client, and (iv) collaborating with internal partners to manage risk and make credit decisions.The position’s five primary job functions are client management, lead generation, relationship management, outreach, and preliminary credit structuring and deal proposal. Under administrative direction of the Senior Vice President of Business Finance Programs, the BDO must be proficient in structuring commercial real estate, business and working capital loan transactions that are guaranteed by the SBA and/or combined with several non-traditional financing assistance programs to leverage traditional bank and other financing.
- Covers the assigned market by directly calling upon prospective clients, after researching their business and industry, gathering as much market data about the company and its decision makers as feasible, and organizing an outreach strategy
- Conducts portfolio review sessions to mine product opportunities within his/her portfolio and leads the effort to introduce new and current key products into client and prospect relationships as appropriate
- Accurately documents such lead generation in Downhome Loan Management (DLM)
- Stays abreast of changes in Bank products and services, is capable of identifying appropriate client product fit, and is able to present each product to a client or prospect
- Accurately represent diverse line of loan programs and services
- Responsible for driving new client acquisition, generating new revenue, and raising market awareness for FSC First
- Possess in depth knowledge of all market products and services offered by FSC First
- Act as trusted advisor to client’s management team through strategic business discussions, risk management, credit structuring, industry observations and other matters of elevated importance
- Develops deep relationships and strong personal rapport with each client’s management team in his/her portfolio
- Regularly meets with each client in order to: (i) discuss matters of strategic importance to either the client or FSC First, (ii) understand the client’s business/industry, its evolution and challenges, (iii) remain apprised of all key credit risk areas, (iv) maintain open lines of communication, (v) advise on use of appropriate FSC First products/services to be used to enhance performance/operations/capital structure, and (vi) extend FSC First’s product set into client relationships wherever appropriate.
- Responsible for deepening cross-sell penetration wherever appropriate for our clients
- Responsible for maintaining a high client satisfaction level and not losing any relationships
- Actively organizes and manages Bank Pool relationships regularly meeting with partners and bank team members to foster new relationships and nourish on-going alliances
- Interacts with the clients in order to discuss and resolve loan package related issues and will help develop strategies and actions to resolve any issues that could increase risk or create losses for the organization
- Exhibit skill at negotiation techniques, be able to develop loan structuring options, engage with participating banks on multi-bank transactions, review and understand legal loan documentation
- Demonstrate skill in the area of recognizing large exposure and complex credit challenges
- Researches and prepares pre-call plans and meeting agendas and organizes internal briefing calls/meetings/conversations before all joint calls. Involves appropriate parties for joint calls.
- Work closely with Management to support efforts to meet lending goals and objectives.
- Works with the Management team to develop new products as needed and helps sell FSC’s capabilities to an expanding array of constituencies.
- Coordinates and delivers presentations to clients, prospects and at events representing FSC First
- Represents and delivers presentations on behalf of FSC First with County partner agencies
- Facilitates on-site training opportunities for clients and prospective clients as hosted by FSC First
- Participates in local economic development organization and prospect meetings.
- Represents the FSC First as directed at various functions and forums.
Credit Structuring & Deal Proposition
- Creates an environment of support for each new (and existing) relationship by readily involving other team members such as Executive Management and the Loan Administration Team, as appropriate.
- Identifies and meets the financing needs of present/potential customers seeking commercial business loans.
- Determines and justifies the terms and conditions of those loans and handles the daily interaction with customers and prospects.
- Prepare high-quality, detailed credit approval documents that contain an in-depth analysis and an understanding and identification of credit issues and risks.
- Consult with team members and SVP of Business Finance Programs to recommend proper loan structuring that limits risk to the organization.
- Demonstrates command of relevant credit matters including loan structuring and ongoing credit risk
- Works collaboratively with the Loan Administration Team and the Commercial Loan Underwriter during the underwriting of new credit opportunities
- Works collaboratively with the Loan Administration Team and the Commercial Loan Underwriters during the loan closing to ensure efficient turnaround time
- Presents recommended loan approvals to Loan Review Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Adheres to all regulatory compliance requirements of the U.S. Small Business Administration and FSC First Credit Policy
- Develops an institutional history of calling efforts by documenting summary notes of meeting discussions (clients and prospects) in LMS.
- Responsible for the integrity of all data entered into Downhome Loan Management and CDC Ventures software, making sure all sales and pipeline information is current and accurate
- Provides weekly activity reports that include, but are not limited to, underwriting pipeline and loan closing status.
Other duties as directed by the Senior Vice President of Business Finance Programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Communications, Public Finance, Finance and/or Economics or related field.
- 5 years of extensive experience in C&I and business lending, SBA commercial underwriting or related industry.
- Excellent credit analysis skills. Demonstrated origination experience with U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) policy and programs especially SBA 504 Real Estate loans.
- Ability to maintain productive and effective working relations with pre-bankable prospects.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel and MS Office Suite
- Excellent verbal, communication and writing skills
- Some regional and local travel and occasional evening or weekend work for special events.
- The position requires a flexible, conscientious, detail-oriented individual who can perform varied tasks with considerable organizational skills and creativity, and who can work largely independently but collaborate with the Loan Administration Team.
Reports to: Vice President, Business Development
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: Steward Smith, Vice President, Business Development, via email to email@example.com, or mail to FSC First, 1801 McCormick Drive, Suite 300, Largo, MD 20774. www.fscfirst.com